Thursday, April 06, 2017

Redefining Leisure



There have been innumerous times when I’ve recollected these lines by W.H.Davies, I admit, usually with a sigh.

What is this life if, full of care,  
We have no time to stand and stare. 
No time to stand beneath the boughs  
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

While I love the entire poem, Leisure, these words have stuck with me over the years.

It was a crisp Spring Sunday, I finally had managed to sell my plans for our backyard to my husband. The detailed plan involved planting three trees, an avocado and a lemon on the ground, kumquats in a container (yes, that’s a tree), a vine over the fence, a couple of flowering hedges along the driveway and a few more miscellaneous plants. Oh what an effort it took. But that deserves a blog post on its own.

We head out to the nearest Home Depot, going around and making a mental note of what’s available and where, before pushing a trolley all around the place. We run into a colleague of mine who was there with his family, shopping for some vegetable plants. We chat for a bit, and I shared my experience of growing tomatoes from seed last year (which the dear husband was nice enough to point out turned out ‘pretty sour’). We talk a little longer about my newfound love for perennials & his struggle with gofers before saying good-bye.

We roamed around for 30 more minutes or so, and were able to pick most of what we wanted, a flowering hedge plant – Indian hawthorne, a jasmine vine and a self-pollinating dwarf avocado tree (Based on my calculations, we’d have to swap the living area & backyard if we were to buy a regular sized avocado tree). All except for an elusive pink-red hibiscus, the store only had red. Thankfully, I had taken a flower from one of our existing plants to match the shade, and well, it didn’t.

We checked out, loaded the plants carefully into our sedan, had a late lunch outside, aerated the plants by opening the trunk for a minute, and drove back home. It was just the routine after that, some chores, and meal prep for the upcoming week.

It’s been a few days since, and I fondly remember how we spent that day. It wasn’t as exciting as a trip to the Grand Canyon or Vegas, which are both great, obviously. Neither was it like binge watching Madam Secretary on Netflix Friday night, which I admit is hard not to indulge in. But this was a different kind of leisure, an old fashioned one, if I may use the term. It was a lazy stroll on a pleasant Sunday, meeting people on the way and heading back home.  

I couldn’t possibly do nothing and simply stare as our cattle friends (nope, Netflix doesn’t count), but I’d happily settle for going out and spending time without checking the watch whether we are late for the next thing on the seemingly bottomless to-do list. This is modern day leisure, W.H.Davies and I dig it. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

casual person with deep passion about things/people i like....






I was Hermione Granger at the Harry Potter character quiz @ Crazylicious.com
My Birthdate: October 6
  • You tend to be a the rock in relationships - people depend on you.
  • Thoughtful and caring, you often put others needs first.
  • You aren't content to help those you know... you want to give to the world.
  • An idealist, you strive for positive change and dream about how much better things could be.
  • Your strength: Your intuition
  • Your weakness: You put yourself last
  • Your power color: Rose
  • Your power symbol: Cloud
  • Your power month: June
What Does Your Birth Date Mean?

Powered by Blogger